Friday, December 24, 2010

Blogging!. Intro. Goals.

Greetings everyone.

I am really excited to jump on board and be a part of the blogosphere.  I've been weighing up the pros and cons of blogging for a while now, and I struggle to find a whole lot of negatives. If there are some, I'm sure I will discover them shortly. It's something I just need to dive into and think about it later.  My excuse lately has been that I’m too busy. However, wouldn't that make a blog more exciting? Who wants to read someone’s blog when they do the same thing over and over again and live a tame life?

This being my first blog, I think it's necessary to do a little introduction about myself. I am Grant Dorey. I was born in Vancouver, Canada 21 years ago. My family and I have moved around quite a bit and made our way to New Zealand in 1998. We have been here ever since. I got into poker with my brother. We started grinding freerolls in 2005, sometimes through the night. We were quite successful and netted approx $4 in a couple of months. We kept at it and both ran well not to bust our miniscule rolls. I built my roll with STT SNGs and also transferring my roll from site to site, clearing bonuses. Eventually,  I wound up at PokerStars and mixed STT SNGs and MTTs. Then naturally,  MTT SNGs. I went to uni for a year, I loved the lifestyle but didn’t enjoy learning about subjects that I wasn't passionate about. so, I decided to pursue my poker career. I have been playing for a living for the last 2 years and it has been great.

I came into this year with high hopes and aspirations. I Moved down south to live with Eeetee2008 and was ready to crush. Bang! Downswing. I was second guessing everything, and rethinking the poker for a living gig, but I just moved across the country for poker! I couldn’t give up. I worked hard, dropped the MTTs and stuck to 180 man SNGs. I'm giving myself a pat on the back, because I really am proud of what I have done. People dream of my occupation, and I went and captured it.

My goals at the beginning of the year were to make $x and 200k vpps and be top 5 on  the sharkscope leaderboard for any game greater than 7 tables. I'm not 100% comfortable saying how much I’ve earned because I’m not sure who is going to read this and how they are going to react (its not that much, but still). Again, a pat on the back for achieving my goals. It was tough, but I knuckled down.

I don’t have specific goals for next year. However, I do want to do a lot more coaching. I have recently joined the coaching team at www.pocarr.com. It's a staking/coaching site that, right now, specializes in mttsngs. I am really excited to be a part of this new, fast growing company that has high potential to be really successful. Next year  I want to again be top 5 on SS leaderboard >7 tables, starting grinding the 45 man SNGS, gain 300k vpps and do some more travelling. These goals are written in the sand and are likely to change.

That'll be it for my first blog. I’m heading to China with my GF for 3 weeks, so watch this space for updates. I plan to upload a lot of photos on my blog, which hopefully people appreciate.  I think it is a good tool to document my travels/poker/life.

Hope everyone has a great holiday. Thanks for reading.




5 comments:

  1. So jealous it took me like 6 months go get 8 followers u did it in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to see u blogging portly, welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taxes, Death, and PortlyPig in your 180 man are about the only three things you can count on in life.

    Congrats on a fantastic year and for being such a great example of a true professional poker player.

    Happy New Year and good luck in 2011.

    ReplyDelete